Why do we date? For many reasons.
1. Dating is often simple recreation, an end in itself.
2. Dating is a way to gain social status based on whom and how often you date. You can raise your status within your peer group.
3. Dating is an opportunity for the sexes to learn about one another.
4. Dating meets ego needs. YOu need to be understood and considered important. Being asked for a date or being accepted involves understanding one another to some extent.
5. Dating leads to marriage! Most young people do not begin each date by asking, "Will I marry this person?" but eventually they will.